THE PARK AND THE VILLAGE
THE PARK OF VILLA EMO
The garden we can see and visit today at Villa Emo is obviously not the original Palladian garden, that is the one that surrounded the villa in 1560, after its construction by Palladio. The documents available attest to the fact that there were four successive gardens from the building of the noble residence to the present day.
The ancient village of Villa Emo
Leaving Villa Emo and crossing the road we find a group of smaller buildings that all together form the ancient village; they develop in continuity in two wings towards east and west. The existence of these structures is documented for the first time in a 1677 site plan. Furthermore, on the basis of recent studies, it seems certain that the original design of the buildings on the west side of the ancient village is attributable to Palladio. Here are located all the facilities that complement the agricultural activity of the villa: farmers’ dwellings, barns, granaries and warehouses to store the harvest. Currently the east side of the ancient village is in a state of neglect and is awaiting restoration and conservation work as well as re-qualification. The buildings in the west village on the contrary have been restored and appropriately equipped; they are available to private individuals for parties, wedding receptions, sports and recreational events for local associations requesting such services.
THE ECOSYSTEM AT VILLA EMO
For further information regarding the ecosystem and biodiversity of the whole estate of Villa Emo and the Energy sustainability of this UNESCO heritage site, please refer to the section ECOSYSTEM.