Fondazione Villa Emo Onlus
Deutsch
Français
 Español
Pусский
中国

THE NOBLE EMO FAMILY

LEONARDO EMO'S HERITAGE

Et se par caso nascesse in opinione ad alcuna di dette mie fiole di non maritarsi, non monacarsi, […] voglio che siano honorade da moi fiolli, spesade alla sua tavola et vestide e calzade e una masera a sua posta, et ducati 25 all'anno habear cadauna di esse da spender, et se per caso per mala compagnia o altro non potesse star in casa in compagnia dei suoi fratelli, che Dio guardi, voglio che habbino de la mia facoltà ducati desento l'anno per una vita sua […] et se occorresse vender qualche ben della mia facultà voglio che mia mogier lo possa far […].

Ma prego ben […]  a non vender ben alcuno posto nella villa de Fanzuol.

Testamento di  Leonardo Emo (1532-1586)

The original name of the Emo family was probably Aimo, Aymo or de Aimo; when the family reached Venice, the name underwent various changes and eventually became the better-known Emo. Nevertheless the name Aimo continued to be used within the family: for example, in 1723, some copies of the printed portraits of Giovanni Emo, the Procurator of San Marco, bore the name Aimo while others the name Emo. This shows that the two names were of equal standing, and demonstrates the will of the family to us...

Despite the many doubts and assumptions about their origins, what we know for sure is that the Emos were present in Venice from the X century as attested to by documents dating back to the year 997 in which they still signed themselves with the archaic forms Aimos or Aemus. But the real proof of their integration into political and noble society is given three centuries later in 1297, in the Serrata del Maggior Consiglio (a measure issued by Maggior Consiglio in Venice), in which the Emos were o...

In 1518 following the massive investments in land of their father Giovanni Emo, his sons bought more and more land: Leonardo had almost twice the number of campi of his brother, 269 against 142, distributed among five farms with two rural centres, one composed of a brick house and stone tezza with a straw roof and the other of a brick house with a tiled roof, two stone tezze covered with straw, a cortivo, an orchard and a piece of grassland, with a farm of 54 campi used for cattle breeding. It w...

The intricate story of the Emo family, which is forever bound together with the land in Fanzolo and the Palladian villa, seems over the centuries to have become increasingly more rarefied and is to date still the object of study and research. It is worth mentioning Captain Angelo Emo (1731-1792), who was the last navy captain of the Serenissima Repubblica and is considered to be one of the greatest admirals in the history of the Italian navy. The political involvement of the family follows the h...

During the First World War, Villa Emo was the seat of the English command on the Italian front and  a military field hospital. In the Second World War, upon strict orders of  the Ministry of Education, which at the time was also in charge of the artistic assets, Villa Emo was one of the four Trevisan Villas  not confiscated and used for military purposes. In the period between the two wars, guests at the villa included the Prince of Wales who would later become King Edward VIII, and the Princess...

Please reload

Discover the four hundrend years of Villa Emo’s history in 25 photos

1/25
The cemetery of Fanzolo

An appropriate conclusion of the historical journey of the Emo family is the visit to the cemetery of Fanzolo. Leaving behind the car park of Villa Emo and keeping to the right, you will reach the little cemetery of Fanzolo, after having crossed the level crossing.

 

Here in an area bordered by the ancient surrounding wall of the cemetery you can see the tombs of the Emo family from the last two centuries; here in fact are buried the last inhabitants of the villa from 1810 to 2003 who, probably spent their lives and worked somewhere else, but wanted to be buried next to the family's ancient place of residence.

 

Starting from the wall overlooking the entrance to the area, there is the most ancient of the burials, that of Giordano Emo Capodilista (1767-1810) son of Leonardo Antonio Melchiore Emo and Beatrice Capodilista, the first one to have the title of Emo Capodilista. All there is left is a plaque detached from the wall bearing the coats of arms of the two houses. 

 

Next on the left there are the tombs of Giordano's wife and daughter, Lucia Maldura (1803-1892) and Bianca Emo Capodilista (1B). Further on on the left towards the entrance there is the tomb of their son Giovanni Emo Capodilista (1828-1906) 2A,  that of his wife Maria de Orestis (1837-1914) 2B) and of their son Corrado Emo Capodilista (1878-1942)

 

On the other side, opposite Corrado there is the tomb of Carlo Emo-Capodilista (1866-1925, 4) and after this, the tomb of Corrado's son, Lorenzo Maria Emo Capodilista (1909-1973) and that of his wife Barbara Steven (1916-2003, 5).

 

At the end of the tour there is a stone bench placed at thee head of the last tomb, bearing the names of Countess Caroline Emo's parents, Wallace Southam (1900-1990) and Ann Southam (1907-1987, 6)

Map of the cemetery in Fanzolo
Map of the sepulchres

Fondazione Villa Emo Onlus

Via Stazione 5, 31050 Fanzolo di Vedelago (TV) | Italy

 

info@villaemo.tv.it - www.villaemo.org

T (+39) 0423 476 334 - F (+39) 0423 487 043

per prenotazione gruppi, visite guidate

info@villaemo.tv.it

 

per eventi, meeting aziendali, sopralluoghi

eventi.villaemo@mondodelfino.it

per comunicazioni con Fondazione Villa Emo

amministrazione@villaemo.tv.it

Villa Emo Sito Unesco
Credito Trevigiano
  • Facebook Villa Emo
  • LinkedIn Villa Emo
  • Instagram Villa Emo
  • Google+ Villa Emo
  • Trip Advisor Villa Emo

Termini e condizioni

Desideriamo farle sapere come conserveremo i suoi dati e per quali finalità. Potrà in ogni momento richiederci la loro cancellazione. Leggi l’allegato.

© 2005 - 2019 Fondazione Villa Emo Onlus

 

Sito gestito da Società Mondo Delfino Coop. Soc.

Sito creato da Italiana Strategie

Il Delfino Servizi